Saturday 11 February 2012

Syr Darya Sturgeon (part 1)

I have a more detailed and specific subject for my work today. I also want to have a border on the canvas so, after painting in a copper background I have masked out the edges. It will be interesting to see how removal of the mask works with the cured paste on it.

My subject today is the Syr Darya Sturgeon. It looks a bit like the missing link in an early stage of crocodile evolution (although I'm sure it isn't). Syr Darya is a fish that lives in Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan. As is the case with most of my current engraving subjects at the moment, the plight of Syr Darya puts it on the critically endangered list. This is a shame in all cases but just look at poor Syr Darya, I mean the living thing looks like a fossil already without us helping it to go extinct.

"Syr Darya Sturgeon" - stage 1.
See you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment