Tuesday 3 January 2012

End of Hope and Glory (part 2)

Today after doing the school walk I had to dry off a bit. I won't be getting the best light to paint in...
I am not sure that you can see the lashing rain from here but I think you will agree that the light is poor.
Take a closer look out there...
See the low cloud and the rain on my window!
As luck would have it, staying in during a howling gale while avoiding lashing rain is not so bad. I do have a light to help me out so lets see where we are starting from today:
The keen viewer will note that I have a pot of something and some things for moving stuff about on the canvas. I am going to use a couple of different heavy gloss gels. The thicker one will be to make a higher profile surface on my picture than the other gel.

You will recall that my subject is to do with how we (and perhaps YOU) in the UK are getting close to 1000% in debt (verses GDP). So, instead of lettering a big UK I am going to do a K and U, one on each half. For the slower reader, a K is commonly used txt (and in other circles) for 1000 and U is txt "speak" for YOU.
Obviously we have the UK back to front so that you have something to think about.
Now you probably start to get the idea. The gel will set and will be something near to "clear" I hope. Once set, the gel will be ready for my next layer.

Now, for the bottom half I want to add the title of the painting but I want to do it in such a way as to give the owner of the painting the opportunity to express something, a sentiment. The title of the painting is "End of Hope and Glory" which I will place in the bottom half of the 2 halves.

We will have "End of" on the left and "Hope & Glory" on the right. If you feel good about things you may consider that you should split the 2 halves so you get "K End of" as in, something like "we are putting an end to this silly 1000% debt". In the other half you will have "u Hope & Glory" because this is what you anticpate and want.
You might feel bad about our prospects and stick with "End of Hope & Glory".
Now at this point it looks a bit messy but don't worry about that. I will now leave the gel to do what it does and set to a more clear and harder form.

As you can see from this shot, the profile of the gel lettering is not insignificant. This should allow me to do some interesting stuff where the next layer will only line up with the original from a given point of view.

See how I get on with things tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment