Thursday 26 January 2012

Mobile Event Horizon (part 2 - complete)

Wow, I made great progress today and I really like the result. Remember that most of the images in this post are done on a simple mobile phone camera.

 Here's my first bit of pencil work. Yes, it's a mobile phone. I am imagining a scenario in the future where people start to turn up the things of today as fossils. Obviously this will be 1000s of years from now. What will they make of it?
 

 Now sometimes there will be old fossils and new ones (in rare cases). Here I have done a little test engraving (as I have a new engraver) and I've coloured it to check that the moulding stuff does what I expect it to.
 
 A pencil fish, now engraved. The pencil marks will go when I clean things up after all the engraving is done.



Now you can see that I have a large plant in my picture too. What else?


Now you can see just about everything. There are a few old fossils, some more recent creatures (as fossils), the plant but what about the phone? I am imagine that much of it will have eroded so some mineral deposits will colour the rock.

Time for a clean up before we start putting the paint on. Paint time:

I have used a sandstone colour applied with a high water content using a brush. I have then used a blotting material to fade the sandstone colour ready for additional colouring. I imagine people in the future will have no idea what some things they find are but that they will have things to help them. A simple thing might be a "DNA stain" that identifies organic matter. The old fossils would be too old to register but the newer ones would leave enough of a tell tale sign.

Now I have added the "DNA stain" but what about that mobile phone?

Mobile Event Horizon by Kevin Bramhill
There you have my impression of how the fossil slab will look. All that is left of the iPhone is a mineral deposit as the rest has been eroded by time. You can see a bigger picture of this painting

As always, I hope that you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment