Monday 23 January 2012

Mobile Event Horizon (part 1)

I had hoped to get a decent photo of my "Seashore Time" painting but the sun would not behave when I had the space available. Instead I varnished a few of my paintings and then started a new one...

I started "Mobile Event Horizon". I want to start this off with the entire canvas looking a little like a big slab of stone. I start off with some lighter stone colours...

Mobile Event Horizon - stage 1: lighter stone colours.
The lighter colours cover the entire canvas. I now want slightly less coverage with darker colours.

Mobile Event Horizon - stage 2: darker stone colours.
At this point you might remark that it could be made to look even more slab like. If you were to continue seeing this surface in this way I would agree but I will be adding a new layer that will heavily defuse the colour.

On goes some course moulding paste. As you can see, it is applied in a fairly deep layer and with deliberate variation in depth. Once dry, a little of the previous light & dark colour will show but not much.
Mobile Event Horizon - stage 3: moulding paste waiting to set.
I am not quite sure how long this will take to set as it varies with temperature so it may be a few days before I continue with this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment